The Pharmacy Needle & Syringe Program (PNSP) aims to reduce the incidence of blood borne viruses (e.g. HIV, Hepatitis B & C) and injecting related injuries and disease. The program supplies sterile injecting equipment to injecting drug users with the aim of ensuring users do not share needles; therefore, reducing the spread of blood borne viruses within the wider community. Over 1.4 million clean syringes were distributed through Community Pharmacies in Queensland in the last 12 months.
The PNSP can accept a further 40 Queensland community pharmacies to the program due to additional funding.
We invite you to register in this important public health program.
Why join the PNSP?
- Easy to implement & facilitate
- Cost effective
- 100% safe – no contaminants
- Creating a safe community environment
- Ongoing support and training
- Increase sale and customer flow in pharmacy
As part of the PNSP, participating pharmacies:
- Supply Queensland Health approved clean injecting equipment (sharps packs) to consumers.
- Sharps packs are provided free to participating pharmacies
- Participating pharmacies then sell the sharps pack for a set price of $3 (incl. GST) and
- Provide disposal options for community generated sharps waste.
- A free 120L sharps disposal bin will be provided to participating pharmacies
- Collection and disposal of the contents of the 120L sharps bin, at no cost to the pharmacy.