We’ll, we got one for you to try at home! Let us know how you go if you do give it a whirl!
Chocolate & Chilli Macarons
Chocolate Macaron Shells
- 60g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 270g almond meal
- 270g icing sugar
- 300g caster sugar
- 75g water
- 110g egg whites x 2 (separated)
- QS red colouring
- Put the almond meal, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a food processor and process to a fine powder, then sift into a large bowl.
- Put the first group of egg whites in an electric mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Put the water in a saucepan. Add the caster sugar. Place over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil. Add the colouring at this stage.
- Cook until the mixture reaches 118°C.
- Meanwhile, start whisking the egg whites and when they are starting to froth, slowly drizzle the hot sugar
- down the sides of the bowl. Whisk until the mixture reaches 50°C.
- Add the second group of egg whites to the almond meal mixture to make a paste.
- Fold through the meringue mixture.
- Mix until a stable, soft mixture is achieved.
- On a baking tray lined with a Silpat baking mat or silicone paper, pipe 4-4.5cm rounds for the head and
- 5.5-6cm rounds for the body.
- Tap tray to rid of any excess air.
- Leave tray at room temperature to form a skin on your macarons (until touch dry).
- Place in oven at 150°C for about 15-18 minutes. Leave to cool.
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced
- 300g cream
- 50g glucose
- 50g chilli oil
- 60g soft butter
- 420g chocolate, 55%
- Add the sliced chilli, cream, glucose, chilli oil and butter to a medium saucepan.
- Place on the heat and bring to 65⁰C.
- Place the chocolate into the bowl of a food processor.
- Once it has reached temperature, take the cream mixture off the heat and strain over the chocolate in the food processor.
- Blitz the mixture in the food processor until emulsified.
- Pour the ganache into a tray to cool (covering the surface with cling film).
- Once it has cooled to a pipeable consistency, fill a piping bag fitted with a 7mm diameter piping tube with the chilli ganache.
- Pipe the ganache onto the flat side of half of the macaron shells.
- Place the remaining macaron shells on top.